Anyone who wants to attend CNA classes in Binghamton, NY will find that there are many options available to them. The cost will of course help determine which classes you will take. Another factor that will help you decide on a career as a certified nursing assistant is job availability after you complete your training. Luckily, compared to tuition fees in other fields, the cost of training as a CNA is relatively inexpensive. If you are living in and around Binghamton, NY, there are many reputable institutions offering training for certified nursing assistants. Some of these are:
Interestingly, there are a few places where prospective CNAs without the necessary funds for tuition can get free training in New York. Some sources of free or almost free CNA training are:
- The state approved Rochester Adult Education Center: People who qualify will get free training and assistance in landing a job.
- Finger Lakes Health: This is another training program that can lead to a job at the end of study. Students are expected to maintain a certain average to remain in the program for free.
- Health Care centers: Many such institutions will train CNAs free if the person will accept a job from the center at the end of the training. This is a good option for many people who want a career in the medical field but have no money to pursue courses. The job at the end is a big bonus for many students.
Requirements for Training as a Certified Nursing Assistant
Many training facilities have certain criteria that prospective students must meet to gain attendance. Generally, those who want to be trained as a CNA must have:
- High school education or their GED
- A clean criminal background to be verified by a background check
- They must meet the age requirements before taking the certification examination, which is 18 years old in Binghamton, NY
- Proof that they are fully immunized
- Proof that they have no diseases such as tuberculosis and hepatitis
Apart from the requirements above, anyone seriously considering a job as certified nursing assistant must understand the demands of the job. Some of the functions they will need to provide demands that they are physically fit, strong, and that they have the use of both hands and feet. Some of the functions that you will be expected to perform will require strength and agility.
The level of training is not too difficult and is at about a 12th grade level. If you plan on training as a CNA, you need to be aware that most courses will run between four to 12 weeks. As such, you need to make sure of your own schedule before signing up for CNA training in Binghamton, NY. This is especially important as in most cases, you cannot miss any classes or practical sessions. If you are unable to attend fulltime classes it may be best to consider part-time or online classes.
Your Job Prospects as a Certified Nursing Assistant
After taking your CNA classes in Binghamton, NY, your job prospects are good based on data from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics. According to their survey, the demand for certified nursing assistants will increase by 20 percent by 2020. With the continuing increase in life expectancy and an aging population, this demand will not be slowing in the immediate future.
If you pass your CNA classes in Binghamton, NY, you will need to pass the state’s certification examination to qualify to work as a certified nursing assistant. However, the training received from most of the training institutions in Binghamton, NY, will help you pass the licensing exams. Your training will provide you with the following skills:
- Taking vital signs of patients, that is, blood pressure, temperature and pulse rate
- Ability to move patients from beds to wheelchairs and the reverse
- Helping with hygiene and grooming issues
- Assisting with bathroom use
- Bathing patients
- Feeding patients
- Helping with prescribed exercises
- Keeping proper patient’s records
With preparation from the right institution and passing the certification examination, you can start your search for a job as a CNA. Salaries vary depending on where you find employment, however, the scope for advancement in this field is high.