Becoming a home health aide means that you will need to get some type of education. HHA classes will be required in order to ensure that you are able to meet the demands and responsibilities of the job.
If you are looking for home health aide certification programs you will be pleased to know that they are not going to be hard to find at all. In fact, you will be able to contact your local nursing home for classes or you can even look online. Finding home health aide certification online course work is very easy if you have access to the internet.
What you will learn during HHA certification
If you are wondering about home health aide training curriculum you will be pleased to know that no matter where you get your education the home health classes will always cover much of the same thing.
You can expect to learn:
- How to control infections and avoid getting an infection
- Ethics related to the patients
- The patient’s rights, as well as your own
- Techniques to ensure that you are always lifting the patient properly so that you do not hurt yourself
- Basic principles related to physical therapy
- Basic overview of how the body works
- Introduction to anatomy and physiology
- Patient hygiene
- Activities for daily living that you can do with the patient
- First aid
- Medical terminology
- Basic life support
While you do not have to go to college to become a home health aide it is often recommended that you do get training, even if it is HHA training online. It is best if you get training that is at least the cumulative of 75 hours and you also need to have hands on training as well.
This is what will prepare you the most for the job that you are going to be doing. Make sure that your hands on work is always supervised by a nurse as well. Doing so will help you learn all of the proper techniques that are necessary to ensure that you are able to do the job properly.
How to find HHA classes in your area
When it comes to home health aide requirements you will find that each state is going to be different. However, it will be very easy for you to find home health aide training classes if you just follow a few of these tips and ideas:
- Call any of the home health agencies in your immediate area and ask if they are offering any training or courses that you can participate in. Keep in mind that many of these agencies will ask you to work for them for a certain amount of time when you are finished with your education.
- If you call your local department of labor they may be able to tell you where you can find home health aide certification programs.
- Call your local hospital and find out what agencies they use for this service. Or, ask if they are doing any type of training.
HHA certification requirements
In the end, once you have your certification, it is very important to know that each state is going to have its own requirements related to continuing education. Home health classes may be available online to help you meet any requirements that you have in front of you. It will be necessary for you to meet all of these requirements in order to ensure that you keep your certification up to date and valid.
You may lose your job if you are not meeting the continuing education requirements. This is just one more reason you should be happy that you can find home health aide certification online courses and many of these are free. All you need to do is complete the course and print off your certificate.
One final thought related to this job is the fact that you may be asked to go through a criminal background check before you hired by any company or agency.
This is completely necessary as you will be working in someone’s home. The background check will protect the individuals that you are going to be working with. It is necessary for most employment. So, if you know that you are not going to be able to pass a background check you might not want to go through any home health aide certification programs.