Anti embolism hose are stockings that can be worn in order to create a great deal of pressure on the legs. It is necessary to ensure that venous disorders do not get any worse for the person. You are going to see that these hose will have consistent pressure throughout the entire sock as it moves up the leg.
How to apply anti embolic stockings
Applying anti embolism stockings can be difficult because they are thick and elastic. You can follow these steps in order to help you put on them properly:
- Take the stockings by the top and use your fingers to pull the material towards you. Do this until you get to the bottom of the stocking.
- Insert your foot.
- Pull the stocking up slowly.
- Make sure that the heel cup is in the center of your heel to ensure that the socks are on properly.
When should antiembolic hose be applied
Now that you know a little bit more about these stockings, you may want to think about when they would be worn. There are numerous conditions that would warrant these stockings. Here are some of the most common conditions that ted hose can help with:
- Edema or swelling – fluid builds in the legs because of poor circulation.
- Varicose veins – these can be painful and they will not go away on their own.
- Deep vein thrombosis – blood flow decreases and could cause blood clots.
- Phlebitis – Clotting in a vein because of an infection.
How to take care of your anti embolism stockings
When you have antiembolism hose it will be very important to make sure that you know how to care for your stockings. The longer you can keep them in good shape the better off you will be. Follow these steps to care for the hose:
- If you are able to keep oily substances off of the hose then you will help them last longer. So, if they have been on your skin and they are covered in oils or lotion then you have to wash then.
- You are going to see that your hose will last longer if you wash the hose by hand.
- Consider hanging up your hose to dry rather than putting them in the dryer where they could be damaged.
How long should you wear it
It is going to be important to pay attention to just how long you are wearing embolic stockings. The length of time that you have these on can really be related to why you are wearing them in the first place.
- Anyone that has had surgery for varicose veins will often need to wear these stockings all day long for a few days after the surgery has taken place.
- Those people that are wearing these hose because their legs hurt will want to be sure that they are wearing them whenever they are awake and moving around. You are going to be able to take them off in the evenings when you are not active.
- If you are new to wearing these hose you are going to want to try wearing them a little bit at a time. This may be the most comfortable for you.
- Always speak with your doctor about when you should be wearing these hose and for how long.
These stockings are generally going to be worn by individuals in the hospital who are ill or who just has surgery. Often times you will find that a nurse will be the professional to put these socks on the patient.
They will be the professionals that monitor the patient to ensure that they are not having any negative reactions to the stockings. There could be times when the patient may have some negative reactions to the material that is used to make these socks. The patient could be allergic to the materials.
Therefore, patients that are having any tingling, numbness or itching while you are wearing the socks should report this to the nurse. Just because a doctor recommends that these be worn does not mean that they are good for the patient. There are times when a negative reaction could be experienced.
A nurse will be able to look for any negative effects so that they can be reported to the doctor. Another option, other than these stockings, may need to be found.